British Military & Criminal History
1900 to 1999.
|Home - Remembrance & Memorials - Local Graves & Memorials - Upton St. Leonards|
This page is concerned with the war memorial in the village of Upton St. Leonards, Gloucestershire. The research on the memorial itself is based upon a presentation by Michael Stratford, with additional research on the names by me.
The War Memorial
In March 1919 a Parochial War Memorial Committee was formed in conjuction with the Village Hall Committee. The initial plan was for a large cross on a site facing the church in Upton St Leonards. The cross would have a figure of Christ on it, with seats around the cross' base. Following a referendum conducted in the village, 259 votes were cast in favour of a cross with a figure with 129 votes for a cross with no figure.
The Memorial sub-committee selected the design submitted by Edward Warren of Bedford Square, London, as the preferred design for a cross with the figure of Christ set in the cross; the memorial to be in stone. Tenders to construct the memorial were placed, with the quote of £472-10s-8d by Messrs W.T. Nichols being selected. The cost was meet by a public appeal and a donation from Major and Mrs Birchall.
Upton St. Leonards War Memorial (Roger Holland)
The memorial's unveiling and dedication was performed on Sunday 8 August 1920, following a service in the church. Major Birchall, MP, carried out the unveiling. The dedication was performed by Cannon Brewster, assisted by Rev. J. Uttley Hillwell (Wesleyan Methodist).
A letter was sent to Upton St Leonards residents in 1949 requesting donations to provide a bronze plaque in the local church to commemorate those local people who had died during World War Two; the total cost being £150.
However, it was not until 2000 that the eight names of serviceman who were killed during World War Two were finally added to the War Memorial as part of a Parish Council Millennium project; some 80 years after the memorial was originally constructed.
Click here to view a list of the names.
Private F.W. Hale in Oosterbeek Military Cemetery (Stephen Stratford 2006).